NOTICE: Death certificates will be on file in the county where the person passed away.
Certified copies of a death certificate can be issued to any applicant upon the local registrar determining if the applicant has a legitimate reason and/or is eligble to receive the record.
Death records are available from 1867 to present
To obtain a death record (certificate) for genealogy purposes, please visit the genealogy page for more information.
FEES FOR DEATH CERTIFICATES
Certified copies of a death certificate are $10 for the first copy and $5 for each additional copy of the same record.
REQUESTS BY MAIL
To request a death certificate by mail:
Complete and submit a Request for Vital Records form: Vital Records Request Form
- Methods of payment accepted: check, money order (made payable to: Ionia County Clerk) or credit/debit card
- Send a self-addressed, postage paid envelope for the return of the record(s)
- Send request form, payment (if not by credit card) and a self-addressed envelope to: Ionia County Clerk’s Office, 100 W. Main Street, Ionia, MI 48846
- NOTE: Mail requests are processed in 1-2 days
REQUESTS BY EMAIL
To request a copy of a death certificate by email:
- The request can be sent to: email@example.com
- The following information needs to be included in the email:
- The full name of the decedent
- The year of death
- The city or township where the death occurred
- The complete address where the death certificate is to be mailed to
- Fees: $11 for the first copy and $5 for each additional copy of the same record. Payment for email requests can be made by credit or debit card. Information on how to pay by credit/debit card can be found by going to the Payments by Credit or Debit Card
- Please indicate in the email that the fee was paid by credit/debit card
- Upon the Clerk’s Office receiving confirmation that the fee has been paid, the record(s) will be mailed out to the return address listed in the email request.
For more information on obtaining a vital record from the State of Michigan, click on the following link: State of Michigan Vital Records