Monday – 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
NO TUESDAY HOURS DUE TO STAFFING
Wednesday – Friday 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Ionia County Clerk’s Office has an area set aside for our genealogists! We welcome you to our office to review and search a number of books at your leisure. Due to limited space, we only allow two (2) people at a time in the genealogy area. You may call ahead and reserve the table by calling 616-527-5322.
Due to the physical condition of the vital records, the Ionia County Clerk’s Office prohibits the direct review of all vital records (MCL 33.2895, Administrative Rule R325.3234, Subrule 4).
Only certified copies of records can be purchased. A certified copy of a birth, death or marriage record is $10 for the first copy and $5 for each additional copy of the same record.
The birth and death records/certificates on file in the Ionia County Clerk’s Office go back as far as 1867
- The marriage records on file in the Ionia County Clerk’s Office go back as far as 1837
VERIFICATION OF RECORDS/INFORMATION
The County Clerk’s Office will verify information from two (2) records for you at no charge. For more than two (2) verifications:
- Researchers must complete a Record Verification form:
- Each item verified will be $2
- The verifications will be processed in 1-2 days and any requested records and/or verifications will be mailed to the return address listed on the verification form
REQUESTS BY MAIL
To request copies of vital records (marriage, death and birth) for genealogy purposes:
- Submit a Request for Vital Records form: Vital Records Request Form
- A check/money order made payable to: Ionia County Clerk
- A self-addressed, postage paid envelope for the return of requested documents
- Send the request form, check/money order and self-addressed envelope to: Ionia County Clerk’s Office, 100 W. Main Street, Ionia, MI 48846
- NOTE: Mail requests are processed in 1-2 days
- If you wish to pay for the records by credit/debit card, go to the Payment by Credit and Debit Card page for further instructions. If payment is made by a credit/debit card, please indicate this on the Request for Vital Records form.
Check out the local Genealogical and Historical Societies below:
For information on obtaining vital records that are on file with the State of Michigan, click here