In Michigan, the parent with primary physical custody would be the one to make the decision as to where a minor child lives, and the age of majority is 18 years. While the child’s wishes are a factor considered by the court when a custody issue is before the court, this is only one of many factors, which are considered in making a decision as to which parent is granted custody of the child.  There is no “magic” age when a child can decide with whom he/she wants to live and it is inappropriate (no matter what age the child may be) for them to contact the Friend of the Court regarding issues of this nature.  That is a parent’s responsibility, not the child’s. Parents may file a petition or motion to modify custody through a private attorney or acting as their own attorney (In Pro Per) and can secure a Motion to Change Custody forms from the Friend of the Court-required filing fees are required

Posted in: Most Helpful FAQs from all Departments