Women, Infants and Children (WIC)

What is WIC?

WIC is a food and nutrition program funded by the United States Department of Agriculture through the Michigan Department of Community Health. Local agencies, such as health departments and non-profit organizations, deliver WIC services and benefits to the public.

WIC helps to correct or prevent malnutrition in low-income pregnant and breastfeeding women, women who recently had a baby, infants and children up to 5 years old who are at health risk due to inadequate nutrition. WIC provides supplemental food, offers professional nutrition education, promotes breastfeeding through the first year of life, and makes referrals based on health screening and assessments of need.

WIC Provides:

  • SUPPLEMENTAL FOOD. Nutritious foods are provided to supplement and help improve the diet. Women and children may receive milk, cheese, eggs, juices rich in vitamin C, cereals rich in iron and dry peas/beans or peanut butter.
  • Breast feeding women may also receive tuna fish and carrots. Non-breastfed and part-time breastfed infants may receive iron-fortified infant formula. All infants receive infant cereal and infant juice after six months of age.
  • Participants receive a Bridge Card which they may use for food at any WIC authorized retail stores throughout Michigan.
  • Fresh, locally-grown produce is provided to many WIC participants by most local agencies through Project Fresh, Michigan’s Famers’ Market Nutrition Program.
  • NUTRITION EDUCATION. Nutrition education is offered to all WIC participants or their caregivers. Common topics include nutrition during pregnancy, infant feeding, nutrition during childhood, and wise food shopping. WIC encourages women to breastfeed because of the many health benefits for both baby and mother.
  • REFERRALS. An added benefit of the WIC Program is screening for other health problems and referrals to other appropriate health and social services. These referrals may be for Medicaid, MI-Child, Healthy Kids, Food Stamps, immunizations, child health screening, family planning, Project Fresh and more.

Who is Eligible for WIC?

Those eligible to receive WIC are pregnant and breastfeeding women; women who have recently had a baby; infants from birth to 12 months; and children from 1 to 5 years who are also:

  • Residents of the state of Michigan.
  • Income eligible. (click here for income guidelines)
  • Determined by WIC clinic staff, in local agencies, to be at nutrition and/or health risk.

How do I Apply for WIC?

  • Just contact your nearest WIC agency or call 1-800-26-BIRTH (1-800-262-4784) for information about your local WIC agency and how to apply. In Ionia County the nearest WIC agency is the Ionia County Health Department, call (616) 527-5337 for more information.

What are Nutrition and Health Risks?

Some typical health risks are: low blood iron or anemia, too much or too little weight gain (for pregnant women and children), poor diet, chronic disease, and developmental disabilities.

Other health risks include past problems during pregnancy such as low birth weight or premature delivery.

What Does WIC Cost?

WIC services are free to applicants and participants.

Is WIC Effective?

Yes! WIC is a proven effective health care program. Evaluations of WIC show that:

  • WIC helps pregnant women see physicians earlier and receive timely prenatal care.
  • WIC improves pregnancy outcome by providing or referring to support services necessary for full term pregnancies.
  • WIC participation improves the diet of pregnant women and improves the length of pregnancy and infant birth weight.
  • WIC participation reduces infant mortality by reducing the incidence of low birth weight infants (under 5 1/2 pounds). Low birth weight infants are at greater risk of breathing problems, brain injuries, and physical abnormalities.
  • WIC significantly reduces anemia among preschool children.
  • WIC children are better immunized and more likely to have a regular source of health care.


How do I use my Michigan WIC Bridge Card at the grocery store?

  • Use your WIC shopping list when shopping with your Michigan WIC Bridge Card.
  • With your WIC food card and your current WIC shopping list, go through the store and select the WIC food items you need.
  • When you are done shopping, look for checkout lanes designated with the Michigan WIC Bridge Card sign.
  • At the checkout lane, seperate your WIC eligible food items from your other groceries.
  • Tell the cashier that you are using your Michigan WIC Bridge Card.
  • You or the cashier will swipe your card through the point of sale (POS) machine.
  • Enter your 4-digit PIN.
  • Give the cashier any manufacturer or store cents-off coupons.
  • The cashier scans each item to confirm that it is an approved WIC eligible food item and that the food item can be purchased that day.
  • The cashier enters the amounts of cents-off coupons and totals all of the WIC food items.
  • The cashier gives you a WIC EBT receipt. Make sure you have your card and receipt when you leave the store.

Remember, WIC food items and infant formula cannot be returned or exchanged for cash or other products.

When do I call Customer Service (1-888-678-8914)?

  • Call if your card is lost or stolen. Always call the minute you find out your card is gone.
  • Call if your card is damaged or will not work.
  • Call if someone is using your card without your approval.
  • Call if you need to know your WIC food balance and do not have your shopping list or your last store receipt.
  • Call if you forgot your PIN or would like to change your PIN.
  • Call if you have quesitons or need help with your card.

What if I enter the wrong PIN? 

If you are having trouble remembering your PIN, call Customer Service at 1-888-678-8914 to choose a new PIN. If you enter the wrong PIN, you have three more chances to enter the correct number. If the correct PIN is not entered on the fourth try, you won’t be able to use your card until 12:01 a.m. Eastern Standard Time the next day.

Non-discrimination Statement

“In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
(3) Email: program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.”

Non-discrimination Statement – Spanish
El Departamento de Agricultura de los Estados Unidos (por sus siglas en inglés “USDA”) prohíbe la discriminación contra sus clientes, empleados y solicitantes de empleo por raza, color, origen nacional, edad, discapacidad, sexo, identidad de género, religión, represalias y, según corresponda, convicciones políticas, estado civil, estado familiar o paternal, orientación sexual, o si los ingresos de una persona provienen en su totalidad o en parte de un programa de asistencia pública, o información genética protegida de empleo o de cualquier programa o actividad realizada o financiada por el Departamento. (No todos los criterios prohibidos se aplicarán a todos los programas y/o actividades laborales).
Si desea presentar una queja por discriminación del programa de Derechos Civiles, complete el USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form (formulario de quejas por discriminación del programa del USDA), que puede encontrar en internet en http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, o en cualquier oficina del USDA, o llame al (866) 632-9992 para solicitar el formulario. También puede escribir una carta con toda la información solicitada en el formulario. Envíenos su formulario de queja completo o carta por correo postal a U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication,
1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, por fax al (202) 690-7442 o por correo electrónico a
Las personas sordas, con dificultades auditivas, o con discapacidad del habla pueden contactar al USDA por medio del Federal Relay Service (Servicio federal de transmisión) al (800) 877-8339 o (800) 845-6136 (en español).
El USDA es un proveedor y empleador que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.