Personal Protection Orders

What Is a Personal Protection Order (PPO)?

A personal protection order is an order signed by a circuit court judge that orders the person filed against to refrain from doing certain things that threatens or harasses another person.

When Do I Need A PPO?

You may want a PPO if:

  1. You want to prevent someone from entering your property.
  2. When you feel threatened that a person may assault, attack, beat or wound you.
  3. When you feel threatened that a person may kill or physically harm you.
  4. If you feel that someone may try to take your minor children from you when you have legal custody of them.
  5. When you want to prevent someone from sending threatening or harassing mail (including electronic mail) or other communications to you.
  6. When you want to prevent someone from interferring with you at your place of employment.
  7. When you want to prevent a person from using, possessing or purchasing a firearm or other dangerous weapon.

How Do I File for a PPO?

  • Go to the Ionia County Clerk’s Office or Circuit Court and ask for a "do it yourself" PPO packet. The packet provides all of the forms you will need and instructions on how to fill them out. The forms can also be found here.
  • Complete the forms. There are several different forms so you will need to choose the one that best fits your situation.
  • File the Order with the Clerk. The Clerk’s Office will then assign a Judge to your case.
  • Take the Order to the Judge to have it signed.
  • Return the Order to the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office.
  • Arrange for prompt service of the Order by one of the following ways:
  1. Served by registered, restricted delivery mail ;this means that the Respondent (person who is harassing you ) must sign a card from the Postmaster indicating that they received and accepted the mailed item. That card is then returned to you as proof of service.
  2. Served by a legally competent adult other than yourself. This can be a friend, family member or neighbor.
  3. Served by a Court Officer. There is usually a fee for this type of service in the form of a processing charge and mileage fees. For a list of Court Officers, follow this link.
  4. Once the respondent has been served, copies of the proof of service form need to be filled out and returned to the County Clerk. The Clerk’s Office will send a copy of the PPO to Central Dispatch to be entered into L.E.I.N. agency and its information is entered that the respondent has been served with the PPO.
  5. The PPO is in effect as soon as the Judge signs the Order and it is valid for at least 182 days. The Judge may sign it effective for one year or longer.

What Is the Fee for Filing a PPO?

There is no fee to file for a Personal Protection Order.

What Do I Do if the Person Violates the PPO?

  • Immediatley dial 9-1-1 and report the incident. When the police arrive, they can and should, arrest the person you have the PPO against for violating the PPO.

You may also contact RAVE-IM, Inc. Domestic Violence Program at (616) 527-3351 or 1-800-720-7233 for answers to any questions that you may have.

Sheriff’s Office

Sheriff Charles Noll

Sheriff Charlie Noll

Undersheriff Bucholtz

Undersheriff Andrew Bucholtz

133 Adams Street
Ionia, MI 48846

Monday – Friday
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Holiday Closed Schedule

Dial 911

Sheriff Records
(616) 527-5737

Jail/Inmate Info
(616) 527-5390

View More Contacts