BUILDINGS AND PROJECTS
IONIA COUNTY MAINTENANCE PROJECTS
Ionia County strives to keep its buildings well maintained. For information on CURRENT PROJECTS, please see the WHAT’S NEW section on the homepage. Bid packets for new projects are available at the Ionia County Buildings and Grounds Building and may be available on-line. Anyone interested in bidding on a project (or a portion of a project) must complete a bid packet, turn it in with the necessary documents and be available for a mandatory walk-through at a specified date.
IONIA COUNTY BUILDINGS
Courthouse – 100 Main Street
The Courthouse construction was between the years of 1883 and 1886. The cost to complete the building was $57,000.00 (the original contract was $42,380.00) and with furniture and equipment the total cost was $62,500.00. The outside of the Courthouse is faced with variegated sandstone from the quarry east of Ionia (as are several older homes and buildings in the area). The woodwork in the building is red oak, cherry and butternut. There are 13 fireplaces in the building, however, the chimneys are now sealed. The overall height of the building is 129 feet 4 inches with the Lady Justice statue being 8 foot 4 inches tall. The overall square footage of usable space is 29,200 square feet. The dome was designed for clocks, but because of the budget overruns, the clocks were not put in. Recently, the citizens of Ionia put a clock in the south side of the dome.
District Court – 101 Main Street
The District Court building was built in 1904. The County purchased the building from the local Order of Moose in the late 1980s for the purpose of housing District Court. The building was named the Rasmussen building after long-time county commissioner Elvon Rasmussen. Remodeling and moving of District Court was completed in 1989. Prior to the purchase of the building, some of the occupants were the Loyal Order of Moose, operators for the phone company, a beauty salon, a law firm and a print shop. Currently, Circuit Court Probation is housed in the basement of the building.
Health Department – 175 E. Adams St.
The construction of the health building began in late 1993 and was completed in August, 1994. The building is 14,000 square feet in size. It houses the Health Department and Building Codes. It was dedicated to, and named in honor of, Edwin C. Nash, a long time County Commissioner and advocate of the public health system.
Sheriff’s Department – 133 Adams Street
Construction of this 33,000 square foot building began early in 1989 and was completed in late 1990. The building houses both the jail and the Sheriff’s Department.
Commission on Aging – 115 Hudson Street
This Commission on Aging building was built in 1895 by Alexander T. Montgomery to be a livery and sales stable. Other occupants of the building have been an automotive shop, a furniture store, a grocery store and a pool and game center.
In April 1986, Ionia County purchased the building from Lloyd and Shirley Loop and started renovation of the building in three phases: the first phase was the kitchen area, then the office area, and the last phase was the large rooms used for a multi-function senior center.
Friend of the Court , 110 Washington Street
(Located across the street on the north side of the Courthouse)