The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) regulates and sets requirements for the disclosure of public records by public bodies within the state of Michigan. A public record is a writing prepared, owned, used, in the possession of, or retained by a public body in the performance of an official function, from the time it is created. In general, all records except those cited as exceptions are covered by FOIA.
The Ionia County Board of Commissioners has adopted FOIA Procedures and Guidelines to direct how FOIA Requests are handled at the County. Also provided for the public is a FOIA Public Summary of Procedures and Guidelines, which is a shorter, summarized version of the complete Procedures and Guidelines document.
Submitting a FOIA Request
FOIA requests may be submitted by mail, fax, email or hand delivery. To assist you with your request, and to ensure an efficient response time, please use this FOIA Request for Information Form.
Central Dispatch Requests
For requests of records held by Ionia County Central Dispatch, please submit your request in one of the following ways:
- Mailing Address: Ionia County Central Dispatch, FOIA Coordinator, 545 Apple Tree Drive, Ionia, MI 48846
- Fax: 616.522.1368
- Email: CentralDispatch@ioniacounty.org
Sheriff FOIA Requests
To get a copy of a police report (not including accident reports) you may come to the Ionia County Sheriff’s Office and fill out a Freedom of Information Request form. For requests of records held by the Ionia County Sheriff, please submit your request in one of the following ways:
- Mailing Address: Ionia County Sheriffs Office, FOIA Coordinator, 133 E. Adams St., Ionia, MI 48846
- Fax: 616.527.9102
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
To assist in locating the information requested, a person would need to know one or more of the following:
- Date, location, or first and last names of one of the individuals involved. It would also be helpful to know what type of report we are looking for (i.e. larceny, B&E, assault, etc.) The incident must be a “closed report”…either there is no suspect or the perpetrator has been sentenced and the time has elapsed for an appeal. A report does not become “public record” until all litigation has been completed.
- Please include contact information on your request in case some clarification is needed.
- Following the Freedom of Information Act, the request will be granted or denied within five days of the request date.
- Special rates apply for FOIA requests depending on time spent searching the case. A detailed billing of costs will be included with granted requests.
For All Other FOIA Requests
For all other requests of records, please submit your request in one of the following ways:
- Mailing Address: Ionia County Administration Office, FOIA Coordinator, 3rd Floor Courthouse, 100 W. Main St., Ionia, MI 48846
- Fax: 616.527.5380