Care of Living Quarters
- Every inmate must assume responsibility for the maintenance of clean living quarters.
- Quarters must be ready for daily inspection at 9:00 a.m. Beds must be made.
- “Day Room” and TV will basically be allowed between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. daily, except for those inmates whose cells are to be found unsatisfactory.
- Cells, dayrooms, stairs and walkways are not to be littered with paper, wrappers, etc.
- All areas must be clean at all times
- Blankets, mattress covers and sheets are not to be used for table or seat covers or as rugs and are to remain on beds at all times.
- When a cell is occupied, cell lights are to remain on from 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
- Light shields are reflectors on lights are prohibited.
- Posters, pictures, writing or drawings on walls, ceilings, bunks or benches are prohibited.
- Newspapers, magazines, books or personal effects will not be allowed to accumulate in cells.
- At any one time you may have in your possession maximum of (5) publications.
- No coat hangers (commercial or handmade) are allowed in the cells or cell blocks.
- At no time is there to be anything blocking the vents or intercom in the cells.
Inmates are permitted to write to members of their family, their attorney, and other persons, but may not write to, or receive mail from other inmates of Ionia County Jail.
Inmates will be allowed to notify a family member or attorney, by collect call or visitation, of incarceration after the booking process is complete.
- All forms of communication between the separated areas of the jail are not to be allowed.
- Inmate communications through windows with persons outside the jail, either by voice, signal or written messages is prohibited. Inmates should know that when observed, this type of activity is subject to punishment.
- “Kangaroo Courts” and all other inmate’s organizations of this type will not be tolerated.
- No inmate will harass or otherwise pick on another inmate at any time, for any reason.
- Loud talk and profanity are disturbing to others and will not be tolerated. Televisions and conversations should be kept at such a volume so as not to disturb others.
- Rattling of doors will not be tolerated.
- Gambling is prohibited.
- Inmates are not permitted in another’s cell or allowed to use another’s bunk at any time.
- All inmates will answer promptly and correctly when questioned by Jail Staff.
- Inmates are not authorized to operate concessions, sell services, rent goods, buy, sell, or loan clothing to each other, or re-sell concession items.
- Smoking is not allowed in any part of the Jail. Tobacco is contraband and possession is prohibited.
- Possession or use of weapons of any type is prohibited.
- No inmates are to be upstairs of a unit unless their cell is upstairs.
- Meal trays or items on trays are not to be traded under any circumstances.
- All dishes, trays and spoons are to be returned, in good condition, after each meal.
- All particles of food and/or liquids dropped on the floor must be cleaned up after each meal. Food is not to be saved or stored in the cell area.
- Any misuse of medications will not be tolerated.
- Shower facilities are provided for all inmates. All inmates must keep themselves in a state of cleanliness at all times, and are required to shower at least twice a week.
- Inmates will have the opportunity to shave on Monday and Thursday. Razors are issued in the morning and will be collected at approx. 9:00 a.m.
- Shoes and Jail uniforms will be worn properly at all times except when retiring.
- To have visitors.
- To purchase commissary items
- To receive and send mail
- To receive money left by visitors
- To attend programs, religious and others, if eligible.
- Jail Library cart on Sundays.
- Two hours of outside recreation is allowed, weather permitting; on hour twice a week.
- Jail property and equipment are not to be transferred among inmates. Blankets, mattress, mattress cover, towel, uniform and all other equipment issued to inmates must be returned in good condition.
- All clothing, mattress covers, and towels are to be returned on assigned days to be cleaned and returned.
- Knots are not to be tied in the corners of towels or mattress covers.
- County property which is damaged or lost must be paid for. Funds for this purpose will be withdrawn from your account.
- All valuable articles must be left at the Booking Desk and will be returned to you when you are released. Each inmate may receive money. Funds will be deducted from your account, for the purchase of items of commissary or other debts owed to the jail.
- One set of Jail Greens, two towels, one wash cloth, one sheet, one mattress cover, and three sets of undergarments are allowed in your cell.
- Any items purchased in commissary may be retained. All others will be considered as contraband. In an emergency situation only, money will be withdrawn from your account. These withdrawals must be approved by a Jail Sergeant.
- Inmates must be in the dayroom, in full uniform at the scheduled visiting time.
- Inmates shall not wear coats, jackets, or any type of head band covering, at anytime in the Jail.
- Inmates may only have a video visit after arraignment.
- Provisions for visitation are made for family/friends on specific days and times depending on the inmates housing unit. If the inmate is moved to another housing unit, it is their responsibility to notify friends and family.