- Renewing a Concealed Pistol License
- If a CPL is to expire within six months or has expired less than one year ago, you can renew either at the county clerk’s office or on-line at www.michigan.gov/firearms, if you have received a pin number. If you apply for a renewal prior to the expiration of your current license, the renewal license will be effective on the expiration date of the previous license and will be valid for the full five years. The cost of the renewal is $115.00.
- Submit a completed application for a Concealed Pistol License (unsigned). Blank applications are available at the county clerk’s office.
- Application fee of $115.
- Additional Information
- Method of payments accepted: cash, check, money order or credit card.
- Applicant only needs to bring in a photo, if they do not have a Michigan driver license or State of Michigan Identification Card, (military person permanently stationed in Michigan).
- After the application has been filed, new applicants must have their fingerprints taken within 45 days of the filing of the application. Appointments can be made at the Ionia County Sheriff’s Department by calling: 616-527-5737. (NOTE: The application must be filed first before fingerprints can be taken). If the applicant fails to get fingerprinted within the 45 days following the filing of the application, the application will automatically be withdrawn. However, the application is valid for one year, and will re-activate if the applicant is fingerprinted within that year. If more than one year has elapsed, a new application must be filed. The filing fee is non-refundable.
- Once the application is approved, the license will be mailed directly to the licensee.
- If the application is denied, the applicant will be notified in writing.
- Concealed Pistol Licenses are valid for not less than 4 years and not more than 5 years and will expire on the applicant’s birthday.
- If a renewal application is approved prior to the expiration date of the current CPL, the renewal CPL will not take effect until the previous license expires.
- Please visit the The Michigan State Police website for information on prohibited premises.
- If an applicant qualifies for and desires the Pistol Free Exemption, proof must be presented to the county clerk’s office.
Packets, along with the application for a Concealed Pistol License (CPL), are available at the Ionia County Clerk’s office. Included in the packet is information on the laws relative to a CPL, as well as information on making an appointment for fingerprinting. Once the application is completed, it is filed at the Clerk’s office. The applicant must appear in person as the clerk’s office staff will administer an oath, and witness your signature. The fee is $100.00 for a first time license and a renewal of a license that has been expired more than one year. There is a $15.00 fee for fingerprinting, which is paid to the agency doing the printing. The fee is $115.00 to renew a license; no additional fingerprints are needed.
A training certificate must also be submitted with an application for a new license, and must contain:
- The wording, “This course complies with section 5j of 1927 PA 372.”
- The date of the training.
- Printed name and signature of the course instructor. No stamp or photo copy of the instructor’s name.
- The instructor’s name and telephone number.
- The name and telephone number of the state agency or state or national firearms training organization that has certified the individual as an instructor.
- Instructor certification number.
- Expiration date of instructor certification, if any.
A training certificate expires after five years.
The process for reapplying for a license after a previous license was expired for more than one year, is the same as for a new license.
It is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the laws governing concealed pistols and the requirements for applying for a concealed pistol license. The Concealed Pistol License laws can be found by visiting The Michigan State Police website.