Packets, along with the application for a CCW permits, are also available at the Ionia County Clerk’s office. Included in the packet, are instructions on how to file for a CCW permit. Once the application is completed, the application is filed at the Clerk’s office, and then presented to the County Gun Board. The applicant will then be notified when his / her permit will be available to be picked up in the County Clerk’s office. The applicant must appear in person as a signature is needed. The fee is $105.00 and the permit is valid no more than 5 years and expires on the applicant’s birthday. You must also submit 2 passport size photographs which may be obtained at the Clerk’s office for an additional $8.00 fee.
It is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the laws governing concealed pistols and what the requirements are for applying for a concealed pistol license. The Concealed Pistol License laws can be found by visiting The Michigan State Police website.Concealed Pistol Lincense Guide and Application
NOTICE: All Concealed Pistol License applications must be signed in front of a staff person in the Clerk’s Office.
Public Act 381 of 2000 requires the following information be provided to obtain a Concealed Pistol License. A complete copy of this law is available at your local library or The Michigan State Police website. A copy of the firearm laws of this state shall be furnished to you upon filing an application.
- 21 years of age or older
- Citizen of the United States of America or a Resident Alien
- Resident of Michigan for at least 6 months
- Successful completion of a Pistol Safety Training Course
- Not subject to an Order or Disposition for any of the following: a Mental Health Order, Legally Incapacitated, Involuntary hospitalization, found guilty by reason of insanity
- Not subject to a conditional bond release where firearm possession is prohibited
- Not subject to a Personal Protection Order
- Not prohibited by MCL 750.224 (f) [felon in possession of a firearm]
- Has never been convicted of a felony in Michigan or elsewhere
- Has no felony charge pending in Michigan or elsewhere
- Has not been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces, and
- Has not been convicted of one of the following misdemeanors in the 8 years immediately preceding the date of application:
- Operating under the influence 2nd offense – MCL 257.625 (8)(b)
- Reckless driving – MCL 257.626
- Driving on a suspended license 2nd offense – MCL 257.904
- Hindering or obstructing weights and measures enforcement officer – MCL 290.629
- Hindering, obstructing, assaulting, or committing bodily inquiry upon director or authorized representative of the Motor Quality Fuels Act – MCL 290.650
- Possession of a controlled substance – MCL 333.7403
- Displaying sexually explicit materials to minors – MCL 722.677
- Assault or domestic assault – MCL 750.81
- Aggravated assault, or aggravated domestic assault – MCL 750.81(a)
- 4th degree child abuse – MCL 750.136(b)
- Accosting, enticing or soliciting a child for immoral purposes – MCL 750.145(a)
- Vulnerable adult abuse – MCL 750.145(n)
- Solicitation to commit a felony – MCL 750.157(b)
- Impersonating a sheriff, conservation officer, coroner, constable, or police officer – MCL 750.215
- Illegal sale of a firearm or ammunition – MCL 750.223
- Illegal sale of a self-defense spray – MCL 750.224(d)
- Sale or possession of a mechanical knife – MCL 750.226(a)
- Improper transportation of a firearm – MCL 750.227(c)
- Failure to have a pistol inspected – MCL 750.228
- Accepting a pistol in pawn – MCL 750.229
- Failure to register the purchase of a firearm or firearm component – MCL 750.232
- Improperly obtaining a pistol, making a false statement on an application to purchase a pistol, or using false identification to purchase a pistol – MCL 750.232(a)
- Intentionally aiming a firearm w/o malice – MCL 750.233
- Intentionally discharging a firearm w/o malice – MCL 750.234
- Possessing a firearm on prohibited premises – MCL 750.234(d)
- Brandishing a firearm in public – MCL 750.234e
- Possession of a firearm by a person less than 18 years of age – MCL 750.234(f)
- Intentionally discharging a firearm aimed without malice causing injury – MCL 750.235
- Parent of a minor who possessed a firearm in a weapon free school zone – MCL 750.235(a)
- Setting a spring gun or other device – MCL 750.236
- Possessing a firearm while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drug – MCL 750.237
- Weapon free school zone violation – MCL 750.237(a)
- Stalking – MCL 750.411(h)
- Reckless, careless, or negligent use of a firearm resulting in injury or death – MCL 752.861
- Reckless, careless, or negligent use of a firearm resulting in property damage – MCL 752.862
- Reckless discharge of a firearm – MCL 752.863(a)
- Violation of a law of the United States, another state, or a local unit of government of this state or another state substantially corresponding to a violation described above
- The applicant has not been convicted of ANY OTHER MISDEMEANOR in this state or elsewhere in the 3 years immediately preceding the date of application
- The applicant has not been found guilty but mentally ill of any crime and has not offered a plea of guilty of, or been acquitted of, any crime by reason of insanity.
- The applicant has NEVER been subject to an Order of involuntary commitment due to a mental illness.
- The applicant does not have a diagnosed mental illness at the time the application is made regardless of whether he / she is receiving treatment.
- The applicant is not under a court Order of legal incapacity in this state or elsewhere.
New CPL Filing Requirements
To apply for a NEW Concealed Pistol License, bring the following with you to the Ionia County Clerk’s Office:
- Completed Application for a Concealed Pistol License (unsigned)
- Original training certificate that includes the following information:
- The training course complies with Section 5j of 1927 PA 372
- Instructor’s certification expiration date
- Name, telephone number and signature of instructor
- The name of the agency that certified the instructor
- The certificate cannot be more than 5 years old
- Application fee of $100. Method of payments accepted: cash, check, money order or credit card
- Applicant does NOT have to bring in a photo.
- After the application has been filed, the applicant must have their fingerprints taken within 45 days of the filing of the application. Appointments can be made at the Ionia County Sheriff’s Department by calling: 616-527-5737. (NOTE: The application must be filed first before fingerprints can be taken). If the applicant fails to get fingerprinted within the 45 days following the filing of the application, the application will automatically be withdrawn and the applicant will have to wait one calendar year in order to file again. The filing fee is non-refundable.
- Once the application is approved, the license will be mailed directly to you.
- If the application is denied, the applicant will be notified in writing. The filing fee is non-refundable.
- Concealed Pistol Licenses are valid for not more than 5 years and will expire on the applicant’s birthday.
Renewing a Concealed Pistol License
To RENEW a Concealed Pistol License bring the following with you to the Ionia County Clerk’s Office:
- Completed Application for a Concealed Pistol License (unsigned)
- Application fee of $115. Method of payments accepted: cash, check, money order or credit card
- Applicant does not have to bring in photos.
- Once the application is approved, the, the license will be mailed directly to you.
- Concealed Pistol Licenses are valid for not more than 5 years and will expire on the applicant’s birthday
- To find if applicant qualifies for a PPE (Prohibited Premises Exemption), please visit the The Michigan State Police website.