Please call 616-527-5322 to schedule your visit to the County Clerk’s Office.
Death certificates will be on file in the county where the person passed away.
- Certified copies of a death certificate can be issued to any applicant upon the local registrar determining if the applicant has a legitimate reason and/or is eligble to receive the record.
- Death records are available from 1867 to present.
To obtain a death record (certificate) for genealogy purposes, please visit the genealogy page for more information.
Certified copies of a death certificate are $10 for the first copy and $5 for each additional copy of the same record at the same time.
Requests by Mail
To request a death certificate by mail:
- Complete a Vital Records Request Form.
- Methods of payment accepted: check, money order (made payable to: Ionia County Clerk) or credit/debit card
- Send a self-addressed, postage paid envelope for the return of the record(s)
- Send completed request form, payment (if not by credit card) and a self-addressed envelope to: Ionia County Clerk’s Office, 100 W. Main Street, Ionia, MI 48846
- Mail requests are processed in 1-2 days