Absentee ballots can be requested by contacting your local township or city clerk. Please note that the Ionia County Clerk’s Office does not distribute absentee ballots.
Running for Office
If you are interested in running for an elected office, whether it be at the local, county or state level, visit the Michigan Secretary of State website for filing requirements, deadlines, Michigan Election Law, campaign finance questions and much more information pertaining to the election process.
Where to File
- State Officers: Visit the Michigan Secretary of State’s website for innformation on how to file for a state office.
- Ionia County Elected Officers: For the positions of Ionia County Prosecutor, Sheriff, Clerk, Treasurer, Register of Deeds, Drain Commissioner, County Commissioner and Probate Judge, you will file at the Ionia County Clerk’s Office. Petition forms are available at the Ionia County Clerk’s Office.
- Local School Boards of Education: file at the Ionia County Clerk’s Office for the following schools
- Belding Area Schools
- Ionia Public Schools
- Lakewood Public Schools
- Portland Public Schools
- Saranac Community Schools
- Coon School
- Haynor School
- North LeValley School
- Local Township and City Officers: If interested in running for a township or city position, please contact your local township or city clerk.
- Village Officers: If interested in running for a village position, you will file with the township clerk that the village is located in. Please contact your township clerk for more information.